Under Oregon law, a veteran or disabled veteran discharged or released under honorable conditions who applies for a vacant position and who successfully completes an initial application screening and meets all the minimum qualifications and special qualifications (e.g., licenses, legal requirements, or bilingual qualifications) for a position may be eligible for veterans’ preference in public employment.
How it works at Jackson County
- Qualified veterans who meet all the minimum qualifications and special qualifications such as licenses, legal requirements, or bilingual qualifications, as determined by Jackson County, are entitled to receive an interview when an interview is a component of the selection process.
- Qualified veterans receive preference at each evaluation stage in the hiring process in which they participate.
- Applicants who want to use veterans’ preference must submit the required documentation with each application. Veterans’ preference will not be awarded unless an applicant timely submits the required documentation for each recruitment for which they are interested in receiving veterans’ preference, before the job posting is closed. See details below.
Submit required proof of eligibility for veterans’ preference:
Required documentation for proof of eligibility for veterans’ preference includes either:
(1) A certificate of release or Discharge from Active Duty (a federal DD form 214 or 215) that reflects a discharge or release under honorable conditions.
(2) A letter from the US Department of Veterans Affairs indicating that the applicant is the recipient of a non-service connected pension.
(3) For disabled veterans’ preference, a disability preference letter from the US Department of Veterans Affairs.
Ways to submit required documentation for proof of eligibility for veterans’ preference with Jackson County
Required documentation must be provided with each application you submit for employment with Jackson County and before the job posting is closed. You may:
- Attach the required documentation to your online application * If you didn’t attach the necessary documentation when you first applied, please upload it ASAP and then email jobs@JacksonCountyOR.gov to let us know you uploaded it.
- Fax the required documentation to 541-774-6455
- Hand-deliver to the Jackson County Human Resources Office located at 10 S. Oakdale Avenue, Room 200, Medford, OR.
If you have questions or need further information, please contact the Jackson County Human Resources Office, 541-774-6026.